Welcome to Steemit!
Steemit is a blockchain-based social media Dapp (decentralized application) that creates communities where users are rewarded for sharing their voice. It's a new kind of attention economy.
To help make your experience more enjoyable, we made a list of useful tips, links, and fun games to play on the Steem Blockchain.
This post is just a starting point, feel free to share suggestions in the comments, as we will continually improve this guide.
This Guide will cover the following topics...
- The first thing to do when you come to Steemit
- Introduction of a Steemit Post
- Importance of the five given keys
- How to set your own profile
- The three ‘tokens’ on Steemit - SBD, STEEM and Steem Power
- Steem Power (SP) delegation
- How to earn STEEM
- How to post
- How to put tags on your post
- How many times can you post
- How to get more Steem Power (SP)
- Communities to join
- Useful tools
- Discord servers
The first thing to do when you come to Steemit
What is the very first thing a new Steemian should do? Post your first comment? Read the top paid posts to learn how to earn rewards? Upload your profile photo? The answer is, none of the above! The very first thing is: write down your master/owner keys on a piece of paper, and keep the paper in a safe, secure place.
Anyone can use your password to log in, to transfer money, to comment on others, and fish your friends. What would you call it? 'Master/owner key' is not enough. We would call this long string 'Steem ID's Life'. If stolen, dead.
We warn every new Steemian: NEVER, EVER use your master/owner key when logging in to Steemit! ALWAYS login with your posting key. It is sufficient for everyday use.
If you are doing something related to your Steem Wallet, then use the active key.
When do you use your master/owner key? Only when you want to recover something. Take it as the 'restore to factory settings' option on your smartphone.
Introduction of a Steemit Post
When you come to Steemit, you will see a lot of posts, but what are those buttons used for? Let’s see.
Importance of the five given keys
You'll be given a set of five passwords/keys uniquely generated for you. Keep these keys safe and secure. Each key is designed for different purposes, if you want to learn more detail about these keys, check out these posts:
How can I keep my steem account secure
Steem Basics: Understanding Private Keys
Steem Key Management
What are all these keys in my wallet? Why so many?
How to set your own profile?
Your profile info, profile image, and cover image can be set in your settings page. A complete profile is more appealing and will get more engagement. Once your image is uploaded, click the update button and enter your active key.
This is a really great post telling us how to set up profile, check it at: How to setup a complete profile on your blog page.
The Three Tokens on Steem
There are 3 'tokens' on the Steem blockchain: STEEM, SBD (Steem Dollars), and Steem Power (SP)
STEEM is the basic cryptocurrency of the Steem blockchain. You can earn it by posting, commenting or upvoting on Steemit.com. You can also deposit, withdraw or trade STEEM at any time.
- STEEM POWER (SP)
STEEM can be powered up (or ‘staked’) as Steem Power (SP). The more Steem Power you have, the greater your influence on the platform. Having more Steem Power gives you more voting power, which allows you to earn more ‘curation rewards. Having Steem Power also gives you the power to vote for the witnesses who oversee the blockchain.
Steem Power can be converted back to STEEM through the process of ‘powering down’. This takes four weeks and you get a quarter of your Steem Power as liquid STEEM each week.
- SBD (Steem Dollars)
SBD was originally designed to be on parity with the US dollar - so 1 SBD should equal 1 US dollar. However its value does fluctuate with the market although not as much as the value of STEEM, and it generally stays within about 10% of the dollar value.
Steem Power Delegation
Steem Power can be leant to other people through a process known as Delegation.
When you delegate SP you retain the ownership of the Steem Power, but the person you have delegated it to enjoys the benefits of its voting power and collects the curation rewards from its use.
SP is very important. Daily posting or direct buying can increase your SP. So, when you want to get more SP quickly, is there any way? The answer is delegating SP, which means lending your SP to others.
People wonder if the SP they delegate to others is safe? The answer is YES. When you delegate SP to someone else, they only have the right to use the SP, but the SP still remains in your wallet that can be withdrawn at any time (process usually takes 5 days). After you delegate the SP, there will be a parenthesis after the SP in your wallet interface, for example, the interface of someone’s wallet shows -2552.794STEEM, which means that the user has delegated more than 2500 SP to others.
How to earn STEEM
There are several ways you can earn STEEM, here are some options:
- Content creator
Create interesting and valuable content on Steemit to earn STEEM as a content creator
- Freelance work
Networking with a community member on steemit and share your passion or specialized skills that you can offer to the community as paid services or market your product.
- Take part in Contests and Challenges
Steemitblog and many other communities regularly run contests for every Steemian to join, if you win and upvote by official steem curation accounts or some other big whales, you will earn rewards by posting.
- Lease/Renting out your Steem Power
Buy some STEEM from exchanges and power up your STEEM to Steem Power then rent/lease it out to other Steemit users for daily Steem payment to your wallet.
You can buy STEEM from crypto exchanges. Here is a list of the most popular exchanges:
How to post?
- It’s easy to post on Steemit, just click the button in the upper right corner to begin a post. It is important to know how to format your Steemit posts like a pro, here is a guide from @cmp2020 on how to do that properly: Markdown and HTML for Steemit Posts
- What does the Rewards: 50% SBD / 50% SP mean?
You can learn from Should I use 100% Steem Power or 50%/50% Payouts for my Post
All rewards will be issued 7 days after publication. Click the small inverted triangle on the right side of the article's profit, it will display the article's potential profit and how long it is still going to be released.
How to put tags on your post?
Up to 5 tags can be added on each post, the tags of the article must be related to the subject. If you put a tag that does not match the subject, Steemit big whales will come to downvote it, which will have a great negative impact on the author’s reputation and profit.
Here is a very good post that tells you how to use tags.
How to put TAGs on your Steemit Post
Other popular tags you can find from looking through all trending posts and begin to use your interested tags to let more people find you.
How many times can you post?
The more resource credits (SP) you have in your account, the more transactions you can perform. We recommend having at least 20SP to perform a normal usage. This is equivalent to 2 posts a day and several comments and upvotes. When you power up, you will have more SP instantly. To know exactly the status of your account, we
recommend using this free tool: Steemworld (by @steemchiller)
For new Steemians, Steem will offer 15SP to begin posting.
How to get more STEEM POWER
Steem Power is the holy grail on Steem. The more you have, the more influence you have on the platform. So we recommend to POWER UP your STEEM in your Wallet.
- Liquid STEEM in your wallet earns you nothing, which you can trade at an exchange for other crypto or sell for fiat currency. When you power up STEEM, part of the new generated Steem will be distributed to all users who are holding SP, you don´t have to do anything, it increases automatically.
- When you upvote a post with your SP, you earn curation rewards, this is a portion of the total payout of the post you voted on. Authors get 50%, curators get 50%. The more SP you have, the more curation rewards you earn because your vote is bigger.
- Compete in challenges on Steemit. Monthly, there is a contest called #spud4steem, on this day you get extra motivated to POWER UP, because you can earn SP and other prizes! Follow @kiwiscanfly
- POWER UP Steem to Steem Power (SP), the conversion ratio is 1:1, which is instant. But if you POWER DOWN Steem Power (SP) to STEEM it takes 4 weeks, please be cautious when doing this.
Communities to join
- If you post and want to include an image that is not yours, you can use photos from the following websites that are free to use. Please add the link to the image source in your post.
- For users that don't post in their own language or want to improve grammar and spelling of your post, we recommend using Grammarly, it is free and also has a Chrome extension. When your posts are enjoyable to read, more people will follow you and give you support!
- Steemit is the biggest application on the Steem blockchain if you want to discover what else Steem has to offer, Dappradar lists them all. You can use the same keys for every Dapp on Steem!
Thank you and STEEM ON!---
If you have any suggestions, please put your comment under this post, we will follow it ASAP. Or, if you have anything to ask or not clear about something, you may mention the Steem greeters team members in the comment section of their latest blog post, or reach out to them for guidance.
Also you can join Newcomers' Community to learn and make friends or go to the FAQ page to learn more about how to steemit.
All of you can post more guides for beginners, we will be much appreciated with upvotes, just put yours in comments, thank you!
Enjoy your new travel here on steemit.com!
The Steemit Team