Thank you professor @gbenga for the lectures. It was really helpful.
For this week's homework,
Make a Post about a Security problem with Cryptocurrency and Share a personal experience if possible.
I will be writing on Cryptojacking. Please join me!
WHAT IS CRYPTOJACKING
Cryptojacking is simply an act where a criminal (mostly referred to as cybercriminal) uses an infected computer to mine cryptocurrency without the knowledge of the real owner.
Cybercriminals are very tricky and they use tricky ways to manipulate a wallet owner to install a software into their computer. Through this installed application or software, they will have their way of mining the cryptocurrency of the victim. They can also use links or ads to lure the victim into installing their mining codes on the computer.
Cryptojacking is often difficult to detect since the code could simply be deployed and made to work on the background.
WHEN IT STARTED
Cryptojacking started or became popular in 2017 when Coinhive organization's code which was a mining tool was exploited by cybercriminals; and using the computing resources of victims, they were able to their own cryptomining script.
HOW TO DETECT CRYPTOJACKING
The symptoms or ways which a victim can detect cryptojacking include;
- The response time which becomes slower than usual.
- The processor usage becomes higher than normal.
- The computer that is hacked into will have overheating issues.
- And, the electricity bills becomes higher.
- SecB artificial intelligence could also be used in detecting cryptojacking.
HOW TO FIX CRYPTOJACKING PROBLEM
In a case where the system has been hacked into already, the victim can simply do the following;
- Website-delivered scripts should be blocked from the system browser.
- All scripts that has something to do with the cryptojacking should be duly deleted.
- Infected operating system or browser should be updated.
It is better to prevent your computer and cryptocurrency from cryptojacking. This could be done by taking the following precautionary measures;
- Avoid clicking on links sent by strangers.
- Avoid downloading applications from untrusted sources.
- Monitor your cryptocurrency and take note of every slight changes.
With these, I believe cryptojacking problems would be greatly minimized.
MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE
I have never experienced cryptojacking problems before. I'm super excited for that. I hope it wouldn't happen to me because it's not a good experience.
Thank you so much for stopping by!