In no particular order, here are today's links from Steem and from my RSS feed. Please consider clicking through to upvote any Steem post(s) on the list.
Also, feel welcome to discuss any of the links in comments. 10% of the rewards from this post have been assigned to each of the authors of the Steem links, and 65% have been assigned to the experimental @penny4thoughts account in order to reward substantive replies.
(Note: Sharing does not imply agreement or endorsement.)
The daily COVID chronicle - June 6, 2020
Just for fun, here is a weekly graph of the numbers of new cases as a proportion of population and as a percentage of total cases.
As mentioned in previous posts, here is a visualization tool for mapping the cases of COVID-19 occurrences.
According to the site, this morning's worldwide number of reported cases was 6,777,896 with 2,773,039 recoveries, 395,812 fatalities, and 1,901,391 cases in the United States (US). In the US, this represents 28,731 new cases, which is an increase of 7,591 from yesterday.
Of the US cases, the site reports 491,706 recoveries, 109,215 fatalities, and 19,231,444 total tests administered. My home state, Pennsylvania, reports 78,815 cases with 52,069 recoveries, 5,898 deaths, and 499,206 total tests.
- Steem @ojerinde: The Reason Why Covid-19 Affected Some Regions More Than Others
- Steem @rok-sivante: How To Turn Off COVID-19 Tracking on iPhone
- Steem @inaglem: Scientists warn having an unhealthy gut can increase your risk from coronavirus
- Schools turn to surveillance tech to prevent COVID-19 spread - Subtitle: Schools hope tracking beacons can identify where students congregate, who should be isolated.
- The Biggest Mystery: What It Will Take To Trace The Coronavirus Source - Subtitle: SARS-CoV-2 came from an animal, but finding which one will be tricky—as will laying to rest speculation of a lab escape
- Police Tactics Could Turn Protests Into Covid-19 Hot Spots - Subtitle: Sure, large crowds already carry a risk of transmission. It's just worse when you teargas people, make them cough on each other, and bus them to jail.
- AMC says it may not survive coronavirus pandemic - Excerpt: The company could file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which would allow it to restructure its debt but remain in business.
- How the world can avoid screwing up the response to Covid-19 again
- What makes a superspreader? And how central are they to COVID-19’s growth? - Subtitle: A patient’s biology, environment and behavior can greatly affect their potential to infect; studies show a small percentage of the sick may be responsible for majority of cases
- These Chinese firms were blacklisted for Uighur oppression. Now they want to sell COVID-19 surveillance tools to the West.