I adapted this recipe from one I usually do with quinoa, and found that the couscous acts as a much better binding agent to keep the patties together. This makes for a tasty and slightly chewy burger. With the addition of the chipotle chilli flakes, what you are left with is a smoky, almost BBQ-like flavor that will not disappoint!
These burger patties are quite carb heavy, so if you want to balance the meal I recommend throwing some high protein veg on the side such as broccoli, and/or pairing it with a protein rich salad like a chickpea salad.
Peel and chop a medium sized sweet potato into small chunks.
Add to a pan with hot olive oil, and stir.
Meanwhile, get 2 washed and trimmed spring onions...
and slice finely.
and add to the pan after the sweet potatoes have been frying for around 4 minutes, then add minced garlic for the final 30 seconds before taking the mix off the heat.
Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl with the egg, and finally the couscous last as it will be hot. Mix well!
Then mash up your sweet potato mix using a masher and add to the couscous mix.
Once it's all well incorporated, throw the bowl of burger mix into the fridge for half an hour, or longer, to allow it to firm up.
Then shape into patties and place on a plate which has been sprinkled with corn flour, making sure to cover both sides of the burger patties.
Fry them up, throw one in a bun and add your favorite condiments 🍔
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium sweet potato (chopped into small chunks)
- 2 spring onions (finely sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- ½ cup couscous (cooked)
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp chipotle chilli flakes
- 1-2 tbsp basil
- 1-2 tbsp oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
1) Fry the sweet potato chunks in a frying pan for 4 minutes and then add the spring onion and ¼ tsp salt and pepper
2) Cook on medium for a further 3 mins, and when soft, add garlic and cook for 30 more seconds
3) Place in bowl and combine with other ingredients
4) Shape into patties and fry in a pan with a bit of oil until brown
5) Place on a bun and add pickles, salad and your sauces of choice
Thanks for checking out my recipe.