Often times when the word PURITY is mentioned, our first thought goes to sexual immorality. And then those who have not been engaged in sexual immorality begin to look around the environment for people they think have been involved in this.
Judgement eyes begins to fly around to those who dress indecently, the unmarried ones keeping a partner or to those who have been caught in extra marital affairs.
God's Word however looks at purity in diverse ways including purity in the heart, mind and soul which is something we rarely look at.
YOUR USUAL VIEW OF PURITY
• Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry - Colossians 3:5
• Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral - Hebrews 13:4
THE UNUSUAL VIEW OF PURITY
• Who may ascend the mountain of the LORD? Who may stand in his holy place? The one who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not trust in an idol or swear by a false god - Psalm 24:3-4
• Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me - Psalm 51:10
• Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God - Matthew 5:8
HOW THEN CAN WE STAY PURE?
By being hearers and doers of His word
How can a young person stay on the path of purity? By living according to your word. Psalm 119:9
By purging ourselves of evil thoughts
All a person’s ways seem pure to them, but motives are weighed by the LORD. Proverbs 16:2
By helping others
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:27
By being an example to others
Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity. 1 Timothy 4:12
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Philippians 4:8
Purity in the heart supersedes every other thing. Let us remember the sacrifice of Jesus and make moral purity our ultimate goal as it is the criteria with which we will see God.
The touch of white on my dress inspired this post. Happy Sunday once again.