Every week, it seems I am treated to heaps of fresh, orgainic, and super-local carrots and turnips from my CSA Box. And I'm not complaining at all; I have learned a bunch of new, delicoiius ways to cook these tasty root vegetables.
One of my favorite ways has been roasting them with a touch of olive oil, garlic, and onions. They both caramelize wonderfully when roasted at high temperature, bringing a delectable sweetness to the earthy flavors of carrots and turnips.
This makes an awesome side dish, but it is also great as a meal basis when served on top of a bed of greens with quinoa or brown rice. Also makes a great breakfast when served with a fried egg.
- 1 dozen small turnips, cut into crosswise slices
- 4 medium carrots, cut into crosswise slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 435 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the turnips, onion, and carrots in a 9 x 9 baking dish, stir.
- In a small bowl , stir together the minced garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Pour onto the vegetables and stir to ensure everything is coated in the oil mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes and allow to cool for 3-5 minutes before serving warm.