Vessel Desktop Wallet: New Features, Security/Bug Fixes, and Maintenance
Vessel is a Steem Desktop Wallet that was created by developer/witness @jesta (Aaron Cox). It contains many useful features such as wallet encryption, account creation, witness voting, transfers, and more. Vessel is arguably the number one Steem Desktop Wallet as it has been around since nearly the beginning of the network and due to its lightweight nature.
The goal of Vessel is to be a very straightforward, easy-to-use wallet that works on all platforms (Windows, Linux, OSX) and allows a user full control over their Steem account(s).
Unfortunately, development on Vessel has come to a halt due to the creator's focus on other projects at this current time. The project contains some old libraries and dependencies that could break, become deprecated, or contain security flaws.
As a pro open-source developer, I have already been active in third party development on Vessel. Aside from adding the account creation feature, I have added memo encryption and worked to resolve various issues/bugs. Without funding, however, it becomes much more difficult to be able to dedicate as much time and effort as is required for a project of this size.
With the assistance of the @steem.dao (SPS), I would be able to dedicate more time to the work instead of seeking funding or working to sustain my open-source contributions.
For this reason, I am asking for 150 SBD per day for the duration of 2020 to continually add new features, fix security issues, update/upgrade libraries, and adjust the wallet to evolving Steem (SPS/Communities/SMTs/etc).
The funds will be used to pay for development on Vessel as well as for creating Steem posts with updates, new information, tutorials and guides related to Vessel. I will create and post a monthly update with links to Github commits and development progress to keep the community informed throughout the process.
I will also work to streamline the process of community developer support to Vessel so the project can also be used as a learning environment for developers.
Some tasks on the horizon for Vessel development:
- focus on github issues and fix/close
- check for security vulnerabilites and update libraries/dependencies
- get community involved with SteemIt posts
- add unit tests
- add SPS functions/interface
- add SMT functions/interface
- allow switching between live/test accounts
- add Hardware Wallet interface (in preparation for Steem Ledger support)
- better localization support (CN/HK)
- built-in blockchain streaming server
- more more more
Why This Benefits Steem
The Vessel Desktop Wallet is a node/react app packaged inside of Electron. The benefits of building the application inside of Electron are endless because the application maintains its very own node environment. This means the application can run on any system without a concern for overlapping environments.
On top of this, Vessel has a very simple user interface that makes it very clear how to use each function of the wallet. This is a great benefit because it can be oftentimes confusing to users on what actions on Steem are or what they mean.
Googling for "Steem Wallet" currently returns a lot of confusion as to what a wallet actually is on Steem. This is probably due to a combination of reasons such as out-dated development, lack of advertising/SEO, no product website, and complexity of Steem. By continuing and improving development on Vessel, Steem can benefit from an easy on-ramp for new users and increased trust in the security of their funds.
(This proposal will also provide the necessary framework for allowing Ledger Hardware Wallet integration in the near future)
- I have been on Steem since June 2016
- I am a professional software developer of 8 years that has extensive blockchain based experience directly relating to C/C++, Node, and Python.
- I have contributed to several popular Steem projects, (Condenser, Jussi, Steem-JS, Vessel, Radiator, Beem, DSteem), as well as having created/hosted my own, (MSP3k, SteemCreate, Steem-API Rails Gem, Steem PacMan)
- Github: https://github.com/netuoso
- SteemIt: https://steemit.com/@netuoso
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/chaneyandrew/
Support This Proposal
This post has a 100% beneficiary set to @steem.daoeem.dao*