Low carb, low sugar/high deliciousness, high nutritiousness. Let food be your medicine!
I told you yesterday, I decided to dramatically reduce my carb/sugar intake for a fun, 2020 experiment and super detox at the same time!
So far, I have been LOVING how it's causing me to get creative and play with ingredients that maybe used to be a side and are now the main appeal. Looking at you, avocado.
Alright-- we're doing this 2020 food-tox and that means lots of new recipes to share with you!
First of all, every body is different and every body responds uniquely to food so I always encourage people to play with their food and don't be afraid to try new things!
Record what you like and what you don't, pay attention to how your body is responding to you and you can use that information to biohack your own body so that you're your healthiest you possible!
It's high in vitamins C and K and every 100gr of raw broc is only 7gr of carbs/1gr sugar! Broccoli is a great way to get your protein in so chomp on down on some trees!
- Starfruit (the sweetener!)
Star fruit is low in calories but high in fiber and vitamin C. It's sweet so it's deceiving but for 50gr is only 3.5gr carbs.
There are a lot of different types of eggplants out there, I use what are called local eggplant here in Bali, they are round little green balls often seen used in recipes all over Asia. On average, eggplants only carry about 7gr of carbs per 100gr. They also provide manganese, folate, potassium, Vit K and Vit C.
So, let's make some curry everybody!
Notes on Cocos:
I make my own coconut cream from fresh coconuts but I realize not everyone lives where there are coconuts growing outside on the trees so, purchased coconut cream is fine but check to make sure there are no nasty additives!
What You Need:
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- ½ yellow onion (diced)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 10-12 round eggplants (cut into quarters)
- 1 head of broccoli (cut into small, bite-sized pieces and lightly steamed)
- 1 small star fruit (cut into small pieces for flavor OR into stars for decoration)
- 2 tbsp green curry paste
- 3 cups coconut cream
- 2 kaffir limes (juiced)
What to Do:
- In a wok pan/skillet pour 1 tbsp coconut oil over medium heat and quickly add in the garlic, bell pepper and onion. Let cook for about 2-3 mins or until the onion and pepper start to get tender.
- Add in the broccoli and eggplant, stirring everything together.
- After about 5 minutes, add in the starfruit (this is your low carb sweetener)
- While everything is cooking together, blend coconut meat, lime juice and green curry paste together and add into the skillet/wok over top of everything else
- Stir everything together and turn down the heat to low, let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with a small portion of wild rice (make sure it's organic and that it was soaked overnight before cooking so it’s easier on the tummy!)
- Top with extra lime juice if you like!
Sending plant based love as always,
What did you miss from me? Here's what I've been up to lately:
Easy Veggie Zoodles
Triple Bakon Vegan, GF Burgers
You Should Go and Trust Yourself!
The Art of Saying No!
How to Make the Best Birthday Tacos!
Are You Accidentally Sabotaging Yourself?
Empath Survival Techniques