Life without 🥓? Forget about it!
One of the things I hear MOST in my field is "what about the bacon though?"
Oh I hear you my friends!
We've been sold a hard game about that crispy, fatty, salty experience that once was just a biproduct of the meat industry and it stuck to us like glue.
So, we're obsessed with 🥓 but the evidence is coming out with increasingly more attention that it's very much so... not healthy for us. What do we do then?
✨We create alternatives that have taste, flavor and texture but that don't risk our health! ✨
One of the biggest misconceptions about _"vegan"food or "plant based"_ food is that it requires you to give up something!
I like to see it as switching it up and actually, gaining my health and wellness in many ways for the trade, seems like a win to me!
Without further ado then, I present to you...
The plantain "Bakon"!
What's really cool about this is that you can slice the plantain as thinly as you want (more thin means more crisp and more thick means more chewy!)
What you need!
- Liquid smoke (optional but makes it so much more smokey and delicious!)
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Coconut oil
- Bragg's liquid aminos
- Pink Himalayan sea salt
- Mesquite (optional)
- Ripe plantains
How to make the Bakon?
How much you're making plays a big role in the ingredients so I'm going to tell you what you need to make it and walk you through the process so you know how to adapt for how much you're making!
- Take some ripe plantain (feel the outside of the peel and see if you can gently push on it, if you can push into the peel without much force and the skin is yellow even in areas black, it's good!)
- Remove all of the peels and cut the tips of both ends off and discard
- Either by hand or with a mandolin, slice the plantains lengthwise to your desired thickness (I made mine a bit thick to have a chewy consistency but it's up to you!)
- In a big mixing bowl (I like to use stainless steel) place all of your slices
- Cover them with your ingredients above (everything needs to be coated and you only need a little bit of mesquite and liquid smoke to set this off!)
I used about 10 skinny plantains and I used:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 tbsp garlic & paprika spices (each)
- 1/2 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp liquid aminos
- 1 tbsp mesquite powder
- 1 tsp salt
You can serve it however you like, I placed mine on some coconut wraps with some guac, salsa recipe for those here! and my homemade queso.
But again, you can not go wrong with these guys! I will say, the thinner and crispier they are maybe the more versatile they are but I find them delicious even just to munch on by themselves!
Enjoy this recipe!
Plant based love,
Posted using Partiko Android