The Muiderslot is a beautiful medieval castle that was built around 1280 by Count Floris V. Furniture, utensils and paintings tell the history of life at the castle in the Golden Age when the writer P.C. Hooft lived there. The ramparts were constructed at the end of the 18th century to defend the harbor mouth and the sea wall. In 1851 a unique hollow lock bear was built for the inlet and outlet of water during the inundations. With an ingenious system, the lock cases could be operated from the inside and the canal was kept under fire from the gun shooting slots in the bear.
Until well into the nineteenth century, the Muiderslot functioned as a blindable editor and repository for the New Dutch Waterline. https://nieuwehollandsewaterlinie.nl/en/ It is surrounded by a historic plum orchard, ornamental gardens and of course the ramparts. From the castle there is a magnificent view of the IJsselmeer and the port of Muiden. The ramparts of the Muiden fortress were constructed in 1577. It served to close the (former) seawall and the trek to Naarden. It also protected the sea locks in the Vecht that were important for the inundations.
In the French period the castle was used as a barracks by the French army. From 1795 the castle was no longer inhabited and it fell into disrepair. The Ministry of War used it as a prison and ammunition depot until the building was found to be dilapidated for that. In 1823, the Ministry of War recommended that it be demolished. The king objected to this, but in 1825 it was offered for demolition, which meant that the buyer was allowed to demolish the building and took possession of the building materials that came out (the land was therefore not offered for sale). After many calls to King William I, including historian and literary man Samuel Iperusz. Wiselius, however, the sale was prevented. The building was handed over by the Ministry of War to the Ministry of the Interior.
For more information about visiting this castle in Holland go to the website at https://www.muiderslot.nl/en/