The Kreuzkirche on the Altmarkt in Dresden is the city's main Protestant church. Along with the cathedral in Meissen, it is also the preaching church of the regional bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Saxony. With more than 3000 seats, the Kreuzkirche is the largest and, at 92 meters, also the highest church building in Saxony. As the place of work of the Dresden Kreuzchor and the Kreuzorganists, it is also the church-musical center of the city.
The church was destroyed five times in its history, the last time during the Second World War. The exterior was rebuilt between 1946 and 1955, while the interior with its Art Nouveau elements has only been partially reconstructed to this day. The world-famous Saxon court painter Bernardo Bellotto (called "Canaletto"), who captured the old Dresden in his paintings, still shows the sight of the church in the form of Gothic and Renaissance.