The history of homeopathy, including how it fell out of favor with the rise of the pharmaceutical industry, the way it works, and myths about homeopathy were explored in Part One of Homeopathy for Healing and Disease Prevention. Many people are looking for a more effective, less expensive and safer alternative to standard allopathic care. Homeopathy fills that role and is used by many around the world very simply at home.
This three-part series explores the many benefits of Homeoathy.
Part One - History and How it Works
Part Two - Using Homeopathy at Home](https:firstname.lastname@example.org/homeopathy-for-healing-and-disease-prevention-parart-two)
- Homeoprophylaxis for Immunity](https://email@example.com/homeopathy-for-healing-and-disease-prevention-part-three)
Homeopathy Takes Root
In spite of the controlled promotion of allopathic and western medical practices, the gentle energy medicine of homeopathy continued to grow in many areas of the world and many enjoy its benefits today.
The American Institute of Homeopathy, founded in 1844, shares some compelling statistics. (1)
- Homeopathy is a system of medicine used by over 500 million people and tens of thousands of physicians worldwide.
- Healthcare in France is rated by the World Health Organization as the very best in the world. It is interesting to note that 95% of all French general practitioners, dermatologists, and pediatricians and 75% of all midwives use homeopathy for their patients.
- In 2011, the Swiss government, with the help of a panel of European scientists, conducted an official and comprehensive study of homeopathy. The conclusions of that study: “That… especially homeopathy (is) effective, under Swiss conditions safe, and as far as could be judged from the trial situation, also cost efficient.
- On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - the Swiss government officially took the additional important step of recognizing homeopathy as having equal standing with ordinary, conventional medicine.
- ”Research scientists in twelve separate laboratories in the U.S., Russia, France, Italy and India have confirmed that homeopathy may well be the first form of nanomedicine (albeit natural) ever discovered.
- In addition to 200 years of positive clinical outcomes and the extensive positive evidence for homeopathy found in reliable public health records, there are literally hundreds of basic science, pre-clinical and clinical studies (including very large observational studies) that show homeopathy to be an effective therapeutic intervention.
How to Use Homeopathic Remedies
Because homeopathy is an energy medicine, it can be used safely with infants and children, the elderly, and even pets.
Many minor and self-limiting acute problems can be treated safely at home with a basic first-aid kit. However, for more serious long-term ailments, or if you feel out of your depth and really worried - especially if young children or old people are ill - seek help from your own homeopath or other medical practitioner. (2)
Basic remedies can be used safely in small doses by anyone looking for a way to relieve common ailments with little chance of an energetic reaction. Homeopathy does not have side effects because it is not a physical medicine - no physical material is present in the remedy - only an energetic signature. However, the body can have an energetic response to the energetic signature of the material the remedy is made from.
Occasionally a patient may exhibit some minor symptoms, such as a cough, runny nose or mild fever for 12-48 hours after a treatment. This is not a side effect, but rather the body adapting to the energetic imprint of the remedy. (3)
“The Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States (HPUS) defines the exact standards, tests and guidelines for each remedy.” (4) Decimal dilutions, X potencies, are diluted on a scale of 1:10. Centesimal dilution, C potencies, 1:100. (4) (5) The number in front of the letter represents how many times a remedy has been diluted and succussed at that specific ratio. So Arnica 30X is the arnica mother tincture, diluted by a ratio of 1:10, 30 times. The more dilute the remedy, the more potent it is. C remedies are more potent than X remedies, and higher numbers are more potent than lower numbers.
Less is more in homeopathy. Start with a lower potency, and move to a higher potency if needed for symptom relief. Taking a lower potency remedy is like casting a net over many symptoms. Using a higher potency is like catching one fish using your fishing pole - targeted and deep acting energetic healing. (4)
The 6th and 30th potencies are the most useful for home use in either X or C dilution ratios. “As a rough rule of thumb, use a 6 three or four times a day, or a 30 once or twice daily until symptoms improve.” (2) A dose is considered one or two pellets, and can be given at 15 minute intervals for acute conditions until the symptoms start to improve. When symptoms improve, remedies should be stopped. (2). The energy will continue to work with the body to heal itself.
What Remedies to Use
Homeopathic remedies are inexpensive and can be purchased through almost any source including drug stores, grocery stores and online retail markets. Hylands and Borion are two popular homeopathic pharmacies, and both produce easily accessible remedies for common first aid and health treatment. Most remedies cost less than $10 US for a bottle of 100+ tablets.
According to Robin Hayfield, a practicing homeopath and a graduate of the College of Homeopathy in London, your homeopathic first-aid kit should include (2):
- Arnica Cream - for bruises
- Calendula Cream - for cuts and sores
- Bach's Rescue Remedy Tincture - for major emergencies, shock, and emotional turmoil
- Echinacea Tincture - for the immune system
Plus these bottles of pills:
- Aconite - for fevers, coughs and colds
- Apis - for bites and stings
- Arnica - for bruising or shock following accidents
- Arsenicum - for digestive upsets, food poisoning
- Belladonna - for high fever, headache
- Bryonia - for dry coughs and fevers
- Chamomilla - for teething, colic
- Ferrum Phos - for colds and flu, anemia
- Gelsemium - for flu and anxiety
- Hepar Sulph - for sore throats, infected wounds
- Hypericum - for injuries
- Ignatia - for grief and emotional upsets
- Ledum - for puncture wounds, bites and stings
- Lycopodium - for anxiety, digestive problems
- Mercurius - for sepsis
- Nux Vomica - for hangovers, nausea, indigestion
- Phosphorus - for digestive problems, nosebleeds
- Pulsatilla - for ear infections, fevers, eye problems
- Rhus Tox - for sprains and strains, rashes
- Ruta - for injuries to tendons and bones
Notice how many of these remedies could potentially be used to treat the same discomfort or illness. This is where a good reference book or materia medica is very useful. For best results, it is important to try to find the best-match remedy using the whole symptom picture of the whole person, matched to the whole symptom picture of the remedy. Pre-made homeopathic first aid kits can be purchased, along with simple books about homeopathy. Concise materia medicas (see Part 1) can also be used for at-home symptom-matching and remedy selection for treatment.
The lower potency remedies that can be purchased at your local retailer have basic symptom descriptions printed on the labels along with clear dosage instructions. Truly, much of the guesswork in this modern era of homeopathy is removed, and the fear of side effects and overdose are eliminated. “Never worry about giving the wrong remedy: it will either work or it won’t. If it doesn’t, you will have done no harm.” (2)
Because homeopathy is energy medicine, a few precautions should be taken to maintain the potency of the remedies. Do not eat or drink anything 15 minutes before or after taking a remedy. Avoid strongly flavored or scented materials - including natural ones - for the duration of taking a remedy. Some notable things to avoid are peppermint flavored toothpaste, coffee, and perfumes or cleaning products with a strong scent. Remedies should also be stored in a cool, dry, dark place and away from strong odors. When administering a remedy, do not touch it with your hands. Dispense it into the cap, then tip it into your mouth, or into the mouth of the patient. If a remedy is touched or falls on the ground, do not put it back into the bottle, simply dispose of it. (3)
How Homeopathy Helps My Family
Arnica, the remedy mentioned in the randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study in Part One, is a common remedy used for pain and injury to the body.
Arnica is also one of the many remedies in the homeopathic preparation Traumeel. Traumeel is my go-to remedy for when there is “trauma” to the body. And with two very active little boys, many a bruise or blackeye have been lessened and even avoided completely when Traumeel is used. It speeds natural healing significantly, and completely. We also use it prophylactically to prevent the pain of dental procedures or blood draws when needed. It can be purchased in many forms, including creams and tablets - we use both.
I have a small drawer full of most of the remedies recommended above and use them when needed. I have also chosen to use a few specialized remedies. Thuja Thymus Complex from Uriel pharmacy is a blend of remedies used together to treat and antidote negative allergic-type reactions and to stimulate the thymus gland to produce T-cells and normalize the immune response. It is often recommended for reactions to vaccines, eczema, and other autoimmune reactions to toxic stimuli. (6)
Another blend I use is Apis Belladonna. This remedy helps to relieve the pain and discomfort of infection with fever without suppressing the body's natural response of increasing body temperature to eliminate infection, unlike most of the pharmaceutical anti-inflammatory products. The remedy stimulates the energy of healing to bring balance naturally.
I use the blend Meteoric Iron Prunus after an illness to support the body to “guide it back into the healthy stream of the human being. Too often we see children get over the initial acute symptoms and then go on to have fatigue, or a persistent runny nose that can go on for weeks.” (6) This remedy helps “your child complete the illness, so you can truly say, now my child is better.” (6)
I also keep a bottle of Bach’s Rescue Remedy in my purse and can vouch for the many, many times it has improved a “bad mood” or stressful situation in my family.
Another unique type of remedy that homeopathy offers is the cell salt. Joette Calabrese, a well known homeopath, author and speaker, describes cell salts as the minerals that are the basic building blocks of the human body. They are often taken like supplements to strengthen bone, hair, teeth and tissue when a little extra support is needed, like during the teething process or for growing pains. (7)
This form of supplementation is also beneficial for those who have weak digestion and trouble absorbing nutrients. Because these remedies are the energy signatures of the minerals, not the mineral material, it is easily accessed by the body.
There are twelve cell salts:
- Calcium fluoride (Calc fluor)
- Calcium phosphate (Calc phos)
- Calcium sulphate (Calc sulph)
- Ferrum phosphate (Ferrum phos)
- Potassium chloride (Kali mur)
- Potassium phosphate (Kali phos)
- Potassium sulphate (Kali sulph)
- Magnesium phosphate (Mag phos)
- Sodium chloride (Nat mur)
- Sodium phosphate (Nat phos)
- Sodium sulphate (Nat sulph)
- Silicea (Sil)
Each cell salt can be purchased separately and used for specific symptoms. My family also uses Bioplasma, which contains all twelve cell salts in one tablet, to maintain balance within our body and energy system. I take it at the first sign of feeling run-down, and sometimes give it to the kids before bed to help them relax and ease into sleep.
Homeopathy is an effective and cost-saving energy medicine that can safely be used to improve health and well-being at home. But in the face of mutating viruses and antibiotic-resistant bacteria, we are still left in constant fear over the next pending pandemic. In Part Three of Homeopathy for Healing and Disease Prevention, I will explore how homeopathy, through homeoprophylaxis, could play an important role in creating a healthy and safe future for all.
- American Institute of Homeopathy. (2016). Retrieved February 20, 2020, from https://www.homeopathyusa.org/
- Hayfield, R. (2013). Homeopathy: a practical guide: simple remedies for natural health. Wigston: Lorenz Books.
- Levatin, M.D., J. (2020). Instructions for use of Homeopathic Medicines. Instructions for use of Homeopathic Medicines. Middleburg Hts., Ohio: Tenpenny Integrative Medical Center. https://www.tenpennyimc.com
- Choosing the Right Cell Salt Potency. (2017, September 25). Retrieved February 20, 2020, from https://www.hylands.com/cell-salts/choosing-the-right-potency
- Homeopathic Dilutions. (2020). Retrieved February 20, 2020, from https://www.boironusa.com/info/
- Fallon, S., & Cowan, T. S. (2015). The nourishing traditions book of baby & child care. Washington, DC: New Trends Publishing, Inc.
- Calabrese, J. (2020). Cell Salts: the basic building blocks. Retrieved February 20, 2020, from https://joettecalabrese.com/blog/cell-salts-the-basic-building-blocks/
The use of any information provided on this site is solely at your own risk. Do your own research, and make the best choices for you.
I am grateful to find a place with rich soil to grow a community. May we take root, and flourish together.
All artwork, photographs, and content are original and created by @bia.birch unless otherwise credited.