Hinckley fires 6, SS fire none, RR fine after 12 days, Neil Bush gets no dinner

Ronald the only actor in this scene?

Hinckley will be moving in with his 90-year-old mother, who lives at this home in Williamsburg, Virginia. He will have to attend individual and group therapy sessions and is barred from talking to the media

Timothy McCarthy, now the police chief of the Chicago suburb of Orland Park, says he is a bit perturbed he didn't get a notification of the judge's decision to allow the 61-year-old Hinckley to go free.

McCarthy noted that he's never been asked for an opinion on whether Hinckley should be released.

During the March 30, 1981 assassination attempt, the then 32-year-old McCarthy was shot in the right chest. He says he spent a little more than three months recuperating before returning to the president's security detail.

McCarthy spent 22 years with the Secret Service.

Two Secret Service Agents and Reagan's press secretary were injured in the shooting, which was caught on camera

Hinckley was 25 years old when he shot at President Reagan six times as he left the Washington, DC Hilton after speaking at a conference.

The first bullet hit Reagan's press secretary James Brady in the head and the second hit District of Columbia police officer Thomas Delahanty in the back of the neck. Hinckley missed his third shot, but his fourth hit Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy (now the chief of police for Orland Park, Illinois) in the stomach as another agent was pushing the president into a waiting limousine. The fifth shot was another miss but Reagan was struck by the sixth and final shot as it reverberated off the side of his armored vehicle.

Reagan spent 12 days in the hospital recuperating from his injuries and blood loss. Delahanty and McCarthy also recovered from their injuries but Brady was left wheelchair bound for the rest of his life due to paralysis.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3710843/Judge-Reagan-shooter-leave-hospital-live-Virginia.html

For purposes of review, here are a few other things Hinckley was doing at Saint Elizabeths: Writing to mass murderers Ted Bundy and Charles Manson. Federal prosecutors reported this to the hospital doctors who didn’t know because they hadn’t wanted to invade Hinckley’s privacy by searching his room. He’s had several girlfriends, most notably Leslie deVeau who killed her 10 year old daughter with a 12 gauge semiautomatic shotgun while the girl slept, then tried to kill herself but only managed to shoot off her left arm.

On that chilly March day in 1981, John Hinckley was patient. At 1:45, he waved as my father stepped out of the limousine and walked into the hotel to deliver a speech. Then he waited. He had a girl in mind he wanted to impress. Surely Jody Foster would notice him if he assassinated the President. At 2:25 when my father walked back outside, Hinckley yelled, “President Reagan! President Reagan!” Then he crouched like a marksman and fired six shots. Four lives were changed in a matter of minutes.

He ended up with attorney who is also patient, who has been willing to take his time and move slowly to get what he wants: freedom for John Hinckley. In 1982 when the verdict came down — not guilty by reason of insanity — the nation was shocked. Dan Rather said on his nightly broadcast, “If John Hinckley has the will (and he’s shown he is willful) and the way (and his family is rich), he will probably down the road ask to be released from Saint Elizabeths on the grounds that he is no longer dangerous. And sooner or later, a panel of experts may nod and say yes.” I remember getting chilled when I heard Mr. Rather’s commentary all those years ago. Something in me knew he was right even though everything in me hoped he was wrong. I’m not surprised by this latest development, but my heart is sickened.

When my father was lying in a hospital bed recovering from the gunshots that nearly killed him, he said, “I know my ability to heal depends on my willingness to forgive John Hinckley.” I too believe in forgiveness. But forgiving someone in your heart doesn’t mean that you let them loose in Virginia to pursue whatever dark agendas they may still hold dear.

I will forever be haunted by a drizzly March afternoon when my father almost died, when Jim Brady lay in a pool of blood and two other men — Thomas Delahanty and Timothy McCarthy — were gravely wounded. If John Hinckley is haunted by anything, I think it’s that he didn’t succeed in his mission to assassinate the President.

At that point, no one knew the president had also been shot.

"My job, then, was to see if he'd really been hit," Parr said. "I ran my hands up under his coat, around his belt line. And I started workin' up, up, up, up in the armpit area. Up into the back of his neck, through his hair and everything. And I didn't see any blood at all.

"But about Dupont Circle, he started spitting up this blood - profuse amounts of red, bright red, frothy blood," Parr said. "And I thought, 'Well, what would cause that?' Maybe landing on top of him cracked a rib. Maybe it punctured a lung."

That was when Parr made the single most important decision of the day: Forget the White House. Get to a hospital.

"And I just decided, with his looks and knowing that all the things that could happen if it was a mistake by taking him there - we know the stock market falls the minute a President like that goes to a hospital - I took the chance."

By chance, the closest hospital was on the campus of George Washington University, a hospital that had a dedicated team of trauma doctors and nurses standing-by - something few other hospitals had in those days.

"When I walked down the emergency room after being STAT-paged to go down there, I had no clue why they wanted me," said Dr. Joe Giordano. "And I saw all these strange people around, you know, with their earplugs in and everything like that. And I said, 'What are these people all doing here?' I walked in and there he was on the gurney stark naked. So it was quite a shock."

Five years earlier, when Dr. Giordano had taken over trauma care at George Washignton, its importance was only beginning to be appreciated.

"Surgeons were returning from Vietnam, and the first thing they noticed was that, gee, in the field they had everything they needed for resuscitation of the trauma patient, and the patients did very, very well because there was a trained team working by protocol with everything at their fingertips," said Dr. Giordano.

"They came back to the United States and it was a disaster. Emergency rooms did not have experienced personnel seeing patients."

Giordano believes the decision to bring Reagan straight to his emergency room made all the difference.

"We knew he lost about 40, 50 percent of his blood volume with a minimal blood pressure. He was 70 years old. I think that would've been a very critical issue if he had not gone directly to GW," he said.

Back at the White House, uncertainty was the enemy. Few in the administration were pleased when Secretary of State Al Haig created confusion about who was running the country.

Reagan's top advisers - the so-called troika of James Baker, Michael Deaver and Edwin Meese - knew that a presidency is defined by how it deals with crisis.

Fact is, at that time, Reagan's popularity was at record lows, and concerns about his age and fitness had dogged him throughout the campaign.

But as doctors began treating the president, not only did his vital signs bounce back, so did his sense of humor.

"When we took him to the operating room, he looked up at me and he said, 'I hope you all are Republicans,'" said Dr. Giordano. "And I said, 'Today we're all Republicans, Mr. President.'"

Long-time aide Lyn Nofziger knew this was something the press had to hear. At an afternoon press briefing he answered reporters' questions about the president's condition going into surgery by saying, "He was conscious and he said to the doctors in the OR, 'I hope you're all Republicans.'"

""In a way, said Wilber, the event formed a bond with the American public.""

"After the shooting, people saw him as a person," he said. "He was a guy who laughed at death, right? He cracked jokes. American people like that ...

Remember, he had the most scripted Presidency in, like, U.S. history at that point. And this was its most un-scripted day."


Comments 2